Soups are a great plan and prep meal. They are easily made ahead and seem to get better as they sit and soak as the week goes on. I have a few friends who LOVE chicken tortilla soup but when we started the 21 day fix they had to stop eating it and missed it! I was delighted to see a copy of a healthier version in the new Fixate Cookbook!
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves: 4 (1.5 cup servings)
8 – 6-inch corn tortillas
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cups slices celery (about 4 stalks)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
6 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots (about 3)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp himalayan salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 avocado sliced
1/4 cup cilantro
4 tsp shredded cheese of choice ,if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place tortillas on baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 mins until toasted and crispy. Remove from oven and break into pieces and set aside.
3. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, cook for 5 mins stirring frequently. Add garlic, cook for 1 min.
4. Add tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 mins, set aside
5. Take onion mixture and add 2 cups broth and half of the corn tortilla pieces to blender and blend until smooth.
6. Add blended mixture back to large saucepan. Add 4 cups chicken broth, chicken, carrots, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat and reduce to low, cook an stir occasionally for 10 mins, or until carrots are tender.
7. Divide into bowls and serve evenly with avocado, cilantro and remaining tortilla pieces.
This recipe is from the cookbook, Fixate which you can order here.
If you are following the 21 day fix meal plan you would could 1 serving as 3 greens, 1 yellow, 1 red and 1 blue.