According to Livestrong.com “A 3 oz. serving of beef sirloin provides 207 calories, while a 3 oz. serving of bison sirloin contains 145 calories. The disparity between the calorie content of beef and bison is due to the fat content. A 3 oz. serving of beef sirloin contains 12 g of fat, while 3 oz. of bison sirloin contains just 5 g. Beef sirloin is also higher in saturated fat, with 5 g, compared to 2 g of saturated fat in bison sirloin.” Being that Bison is a healthier alternative to Beef, I decided to make some Bison Sliders!
1 large sheet parchment paper
2 large Sweet Potatoes (preferably ones that are thicker/wider for larger “bun” circumference)
12 – 16oz ground Bison
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
For the Sweet Potatoes:
Set oven to 425 Degrees.
1. Cut into fairly thick (1/2 inch) slices trying to make them as close to the same size as possible.
2. Lay out parchment paper on baking sheet.
3. Lay Sweet Potatoes on baking sheet. Bake at 425 Degrees for 20-25 minutes. Flip once after 10 mins. You want to Sweet Potatoes to be lightly golden and slightly crisped on the edges.
For the Burgers:
1. Mix Bison, salt, pepper and other desired seasonings in a medium bowl.
2. Form into palm size patties. Use the size of your potatoes to judge how big your burgers should be.
3. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium. Grill burgers about 4-5 minutes per side or until they’ve reached your desired doneness.
4. Assemble your burgers by layering a sweet potato “bun”, burger patter and another Sweet Potato “bun”
This is a great base recipe and you could add any and all toppings you wanted. Some ideas could be bacon, turkey bacon, veggies, guacamole, different cheeses, etc.